Cauliflower CheeseCourse: main course, side dishCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A cheesy baked cauliflower dish that can be served as a side dish or a main course.. Tender cauliflower florets smothered in a creamy cheese sauce topped with mature cheddar and baked until golden brown
What You Will Need
deep ovenproof baking dish
1 large cauliflower
40 g butter
50 g plain flour
450 ml milk
130 g mature Cheddar cheese
1 tsp English mustard
- Preheat the oven to 200°C(180°C Fan)/400°F/Gas mark 6,
- Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower, then separate the florets, halving or quartering any large pieces as needed to make them all an even size.
- Steam the cauliflower for 5 mins, or until it is just tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, but still firm enough to hold its shape. Drain and set aside.
- If you don’t have a steamer add the florets to a pan of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes at a simmer so as not to break the florets up, Drain and set aside
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat, then stir in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for just a few seconds until it forms a smooth, thick paste.
- Pour a little of the milk into the pan and stir until smooth. Keep adding the milk, a little at a time, stirring until fully combined. Cook gently for another 2 mins, stirring to stop it catching on the bottom and you have a nice smooth thickish sauce
- Add half the cheese, the mustard and stir until melted into the sauce. Season and remove from the heat.
- Just line the bottom of the baking dish with some of the cheese sauce, add the cauliflower, then pour over the rest of the sauce to fully cover. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top, then place on a baking tray to catch any sauce that may spill over.
- Bake for 20 mins, or until golden brown and bubbling at the edges. You will get 6 portions from this dish as a side dish, or 2 portions as a main dish.