Slow Cooker Beef HotpotCourse: DessertCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A wholesome hearty meal that can be prepared in the morning and left to its own devices to cook out gently all day.
Olive Oil Extra Virgin/ Sunflower Oil is Ok
750 g Braising Beef cut into bite size chunks
1 Large Onion
2 tbsp Plain Flour
600 ml Beef Stock Stock cubes can be used, or make your own
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 tsp English Mustard
3 Sprigs Rosemary
125 g Carrot diced
125 g Swede Diced
125 g Parsnip Diced
700 g Potatoes Sliced thinly
25 g Butter
Chopped Parsley to serve
- Pre-heat your Slow cooker if necessary
- Place the stock into a saucepan to heat through.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil into a large frying pan and add the beef chunks, continuing turning until the meat has browned all over
- Transfer the meat to your slow cooker
- In the juices left in the frying pan add the onion and sweat off until they are softened, add the flour and mix with the onion until all the flour has been combined well. (no lumps of flour)
- Stir in the Tomato Puree and Mustard mixing well and then gradually add the hot stock stirring continuously until all the stock has been incorporated and add Worcestershire sauce and the leaves of the rosemary sprigs. Season with salt and pepper and bring back to the boil.
- Add all the diced vegetables to the slow cooker and pour over the prepared stock to just cover the meat and veg.
- Place the potatoes onto the meat in such a way they overlap and there isn’t any meat showing through, and press them down into the stock.
- Set the timer for 7/8 hours on “low”.
- When the timer has run its course, check that the potatoes are nice and tender, and carefully remove the inner pot from the casing.
- Optional, add a few knobs of butter evenly over the top and place under a hot grill to brown of the top, as an alternative to grilling, you can use a Kitchen Blowtorch.
- Chop a small handful of Parsley and sprinkle over the finished Hotpot
- Serve and Enjoy.
Also Read: Moussaka (Slow Cooker)
Also Try: Lamb Shank Massaman Curry