Slow Cooker Chicken CasseroleCourse: MainCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A warming delicious slow-cooked chicken casserole with succulent meat, veggies making it a delightful comfort meal.
600 g chicken thighs skinless and boneless
1 lge onion roughly chopped
1 leek washed, sliced lengthways and sliced
2 sticks celery sliced
2 lge carrots washed peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp plain flour
200 ml chicken stock
2 tbsp dijon mustard
270 g baby new potatoes washed and halved
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
100 g button mushrooms halved
10 g fresh parsley finely chopped to serve
- Heat a knob of butter and glug of vegetable oil in a large frying pan
- Add the chopped onion and sweat off fo a couple of minutes then add the leek, celery, carrot and garlic and allow to cook out for 4/5 minutes, tossing now again. until
- Add the vegetables to the slow cooker
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and mix thoroughly to coat all the veg.
- Add the baby potatoes
- Heat another knob of butter and a glug of veggie oil to the frying pan, add the chicken thighs and brown them all over, sealing the meat
- Add to the slow cooker
- Heat the stock up, if you are using a stock cube (just 1 cube to 200 ml hot water) and add the mustard, stir well and pour over the chicken and vegetables, give it a stir
- Add the herbs and season with salt and pepper
- Cook on high for 4 hours. or on low for 6 hours
- hour before the cooking time finishes,** See Notes, remove the chicken to a plate and shred using 2 forks, (Make it thick shreds, rather than thin) return the chicken to the slow cooker and add the mushrooms.
- Also, check the consistency
- If you feel the sauce is to thick add a little boiling water.
- If to feel the sauce is to thin sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chicken gravy granules (1 at a time) and stir well after each addition
- Replace the lid and continue with the cooking
- Serve sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley, green beans and broccoli if so desired.