Sausage and Red Pepper HotpotCourse: Main CourseCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A heartwarming and fulfilling dish of sausages and vegetables make up this delicious meal straight out of the repertoire of Mary Berry
What You Will Need
a large flameproof casserole dish with a lid or large frying pan and lid
1 tbsp sunflower oil
8 spicy pork sausages
4 rashers smoked bacon finely chopped
1 onion sliced
1 red pepper seeds removed and cut into large chunks
1 large carrot peeled and diced
1 garlic clove crushed
300 ml chicken/vegetable stock
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
2 fresh thyme sprigs
250 g baby new potatoes skin on, thickly sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan or casserole dish over a high heat.
- Add the sausages and fry until browned all over.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the pan and fry for a few minutes until crisp; remove and set aside with the sausages.
- Add the onion, red pepper, carrot and garlic and fry for 5 minutes over a high heat.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, tomato purée and thyme and bring to the boil, scraping around the bottom of the pan to release the sediment from frying the sausages and bacon
- Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the bacon and sausages to the pan, cover and simmer over a gentle heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced a little and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve with your favourite green vegetables and enjoy
This recipe is taken from Mary Berrys Bestselling Cookbook “Simple Comforts”